Our statement on COVID-19 and YES we are open for business. PLEASE READ
Your Survival Guide to Moving with Kids – Part 2
Moving is ranked as one of the 5 highest life stressors, along with the death of a loved one, divorce, job loss and major illness or injury. That stress multiplies when you are moving with children.
In “Your Survival Guide to Moving with Kids – Part 1” [link to part 1], we reviewed strategies to help make sure that your upcoming move will be as successful, efficient and minimally stressful for you and your children as possible.
But is there a best time of year for moving? Does it make a difference when you move when you’re moving with kids? All Jersey Moving & Storage weighs in…
The Best Time of Year to Move if You’re Moving with Children
Sometimes, you have to move for pressing reasons like a new job and don’t have much control over timing. However, parents who have some flexibility often choose to move during the summer months.
If you have children and have plans to move, there is still time to squeeze in a summer move if you act quickly to secure your desired moving date with a reputable professional moving company like All Jersey Moving & Storage.
Here are some of the reasons why families prefer summer moves:
Not surprisingly, people prefer to move when the sun is shining. Packing up your home and completing all the last minute tasks associated with a big move is much easier and enjoyable in temperate weather. Winter isn’t considered an ideal season to move for many reasons, especially if you live in the East Coast where winter weather is frigid and unpleasant. Because of bad winter weather, travel is also often difficult both for you and your moving company, which can result in longer move times.
Summer Vacation and Short Fridays.
Some professionals such as teachers and tutors are fortunate that they get summers off. If you are fortunate to have summers off, the summer is an opportune time to complete your move. Focusing on all the tasks related to making a move possible – from selling furniture to storing antiques to assembling moving boxes – is that much easier when you don’t have to worry about work. Trying to cram moving tasks into late evening hours and weekends can be exhausting.
Even if you don’t have summer vacation, you may have reduced hours or shorter Fridays throughout the summer. This creates more time to tackle an upcoming move with greater peace of mind and ensure that no tasks fall through the cracks. Even a few extra hours a week can make the world of difference, especially when you have limited packing hours because you’re busy taking care of your kids.
No Major Holidays.
Moving can be stressful even in the most ideal situations. Moving around major holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter can make a move infinitely more challenging and worrisome, especially for your kids. It is much easier to juggle a myriad of moving responsibilities when you don’t have the added responsibilities that come with the busy holiday seasons, such as shopping, decorating, cooking and entertaining friends and family. More importantly, you and your family will enjoy these holidays that much more when you are comfortably settled and unpacked in your new home, not living chaotically out of half-packed boxes. Summer is the perfect opportunity to avoid the headache of moving around the holidays, especially now that the July 4th weekend has passed.
Avoid Disrupting the School Year.
Even well-planned and seamlessly executed moves require a lot of preparatory work, from researching and securing a reputable mover to the colossal task of packing all your furniture and possessions. Moving during the summer is less likely to disrupt your children’s school and homework schedule.
Completing a move in the summer months also gives you time while the children are off school to get them comfortable with the idea of moving. Your children will want to say goodbye to friends, neighbors and family and be part of the packing process, which can be more challenging during the school year. You’ll also have more of an opportunity to acquaint your child with their new home and neighborhood. Visit your new home as often as you can in order to begin creating positive memories at the restaurants, parks and shops in the community. Removing the unknown out of the equation will help ease your child’s anxiety about the move.
Settle in Before September.
The fall season means many different things to different people. For some, it’s the start of a new school year for their children or a new semester at college. For others, it’s a busy and demanding time at work as businesses strive to finish the final quarter of the year strong. Whatever category you fall into, fall is a time of change and transition. We see it in the changing leaves and throughout the natural world. Starting the month of fall with your successfully completed move behind you will allow you to focus all your energy and attention on the next chapter. In addition to being intensely time-consuming and even emotional, moving is identified as one of life’s greatest stressors. Tackle your move this summer so you can shift gears and enjoy life in your new home.
How to Overcome the Challenges of a Summer Move
- Take Immediate Action. Because summer is a peak moving season, if you want to squeeze your move in before the end of summer, call your preferred local moving company as soon as possible to secure your moving date of choice. The most experienced and reputable moving companies fill up quickly.
- Be open to different moving dates. If your mind is set on making a summer move a reality, try to be flexible with your moving dates if possible. You don’t want to wind up stuck with less reputable movers because your top choice movers are already booked on your desired moving date. The more flexible you are, the greater the likelihood that you’ll get to work with your professional moving company of choice.
At All Jersey Moving & Storage we try to accommodate your last minute and weekend moves whenever we can, but we recommend securing your moving date ASAP to ensure you can move on YOUR schedule.
- Invest in packing and unpacking services. With just one month left of summer, if you’re determined to fit in a summer move you need to move quickly. One of the largest tasks involved in planning a move is packing and unpacking. If you are short on time but want to ensure that all your furniture and belongings are packed and unpacked safely and securely, consider investing in partial or complete packing and unpacking services. All Jersey Moving & Storage offers these services to help alleviate the burden of moving and ensure all items being moved are packed with the utmost care.
- Review our moving tips. If packing and unpacking services aren’t in your budget right now, we highly recommend that you check out our Packing Tips Guide. This packing guide was custom designed by our movers. It features tricks of the trade we have learned over our decades of experience helping individuals and families execute successful, minimally stressful moves. You’ll learn the optimal way to pack everything including live plants, rakes and brooms, lawnmowers, antiques and artwork, flammables and combustibles, small and fragile items, drawers and cabinets, and more. We also share strategies for how to properly label your boxes in a clear and organized fashion to minimize confusion and chaos when you arrive at your new home.
- Donate unwanted belongings. During the packing process, you will inevitably come across furniture and other items that you will no longer want or have a use for in your new home. With just one month left of summer, you may not have the time to sell your items online or arrange a moving sale. A more expedient way of getting rid of unwanted items in reasonable or good condition is to donate them. Ask your local mover for recommendations of local charities that will pick up these items from your home and ensure they wind up in the hands of individuals and families in need.
- Place items you want but don’t have space for into storage. If you have items you can’t or don’t wish to bring with you to your new home but are too valuable to give away or will be of use in the future, consider storing them short-term or long-term at a secure containerized storage facility.
In addition to helping families move for decades, All Jersey Moving & Storage All Jersey Moving & Storage has an clean and secure containerized storage facility in New Jersey. Here are some of the reasons why our clients choose containerized storage at our facility over self-storage:
- When your furniture is placed in containerized storage, it is carefully blanket wrapped and remains so until it's safely removed from storage!
- All items are stored securely in sturdy wooden containers - the optimal environment for valuables such as furniture and other delicates!
- To provide greater peace of mind, you can purchase full value coverage to properly insure the goods in storage.
- Our team monitors all movement into and out of our containerized storage facility, giving tenants confidence that there are no hazardous materials or infested shipments under our roof.
- Unlike self-storage facilities, at the All Jersey Moving & Storage facility in New Jersey, tenants only pay for the amount of space they use.
- To make storage more cost effective for our tenants, we don't charge move-in administration fees and maintain stable rental fees so there's no need to worry that your expenses will increase after a few months as they often do in self-storage facilities.
- The All Jersey Moving & Storage team understands that you may need to access your facility. Contact one of our warehouseman who are onsite and ready to help you.
Consider a fall move.
If your summer plans make moving impossible, fall is another ideal season to schedule your home or office move. In fact, some prefer fall moves because fall isn’t a peak moving season and local moving companies may charge slightly lower rates. Professional movers are also more likely to have greater availability, increasing the likelihood that you can move on your date of choice. In order to secure your desired moving date in the fall months, act NOW. Find a reputable moving company like All Jersey Moving & Storage today for a complimentary quote.
All Jersey Moving & Storage is Securing Appointments for Summer and Fall.
At All Jersey Moving and Services, we do our best to meet the scheduling needs of our clients. A moving company with decades of residential moving and commercial moving experience, we focus on delivering exceptional service whatever the season.
Our movers have helped 1000s of families move to their new homes, whether they are moving to a new neighborhood, city, state or even across the country. We understand the added challenges and stresses of moving with children. That’s why we always do our best to provide families with the moving tips and tricks we’ve learned from decades of experience to make the move as stress-free and seamless as possible. Our movers are with you every step of the way and do everything they can to make settling into your new home easier and more enjoyable.
If you want or need to schedule a move before the end of the summer, we will do our best to accommodate your needs and date preferences.