Our statement on COVID-19 and YES we are open for business. PLEASE READ
Moving Trends - Why Millennials are Moving Back Home During the Pandemic
The pandemic has reshaped the way we live, from how we socialize, shop and work to where we live. If you’re a millennial, moving back home may not have been part of the plan a year ago – far from it. But since the pandemic began, countless millennials have made the move to their home town or in with their parents motivated either by choice or by necessity. Some are moving from costly apartments in the city to their parent’s home in the suburbs while others have to make the move across the country.
For decades, All Jersey Moving & Storage has helped students, professionals and families move locally and long-distance for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the many reasons that millennials are moving:
Job Loss. Some millennials are moving home out of desperation and lack of options, having lost their income due to pandemic-related job cuts. Approximately 22 million Americans lost their jobs as a result of the pandemic, and millions of those jobs will never be recovered. Millennials who have lost their jobs are moving home until they are able to find steady new jobs.
Save Money. Having experienced the uncertain times of the pandemic, many millennials feel compelled to start saving for a home. As a result of a combination of high rent, low income and sometimes monstrous student debt, the only way to save is to move back home for a period of time. Some millennials choose to move home because they want to save to purchase a home of their own.
Desire to Be with Loved Ones. Quarantines as a result of the pandemic have left many millennials feeling lonely and longing for the familiarity and comfort of home. Some are choosing to move home temporarily to be closer to dear friends and family.
Low Income. As a result of economic damage caused by the pandemic, many businesses are cutting costs wherever they can. Many have cut jobs and downsized to smaller offices outside of the city. Salaries being offered by those still hiring are less than competitive. As a result, many millennials can’t afford the cost of living independently, especially in the city.
City Burn Out. The pandemic and its restrictions on social interaction have left many city-dwelling millennials feeling isolated and claustrophobic. Unable to enjoy the benefits of city life due to COVID-19 restrictions, some millennials have grown tired of their cramped, expensive apartments and are seeking refuge in their homes in the more spacious suburbs
Student Loan Debt. With student loans to pay off and relatively low wages, many millennials are not yet in a position to buy a home. Instead, they’re stuck paying rent – often high rent, which delays their ability to repay loans even further. Many millennials, especially those who have lost jobs as a result of the pandemic, are moving home temporarily to search for positions that will allow them to pay their rent and debts. Others plan to stay home until they have saved enough money to repay larger portions of their student debt.
End of a Relationship. For months, many couples were quarantined together at home, or separated as a result of the pandemic. This created unbelievable stress on many relationships, resulting in their breakdown.
Devastating divorces and breakups have sent millennials searching for new living situations. Many of these people have returned home, either in search of emotional support or because they cannot cover their rent or mortgage alone.
High Rent. In recent years, rental prices have risen steeply in urban centers and even surrounding areas. Major cities where the best paid jobs are located have the steepest rental prices. Some millennials choose to live with their parents so they can start paying off student debt and saving money. Others who have lost jobs as a result of the pandemic or have experienced difficulty finding a job simply cannot pay their rent, and move home as a result.
Career Change. For many millennials, the pandemic has offered downtime – a time for reflection. Many are questioning whether they are on the right track in life. Some millennials have decided to shift course and change careers.
Moving back home gives them the ability to go back to school or take on a low-paying job or internship in their field of choice. Others are changing careers because of difficulty finding a job in the field they originally trained for.
Care for Parents. Though most millennials moving back home are motivated by difficult circumstances facing young adults today, some move home because their parents are in a difficult situation.
Millennials’ parents are aging baby boomers, many of whom have medical issues and require additional support. The need for support has grown as a result of the pandemic. Many immunocompromised and elderly baby boomers are weary of going to busy public places, and need assistance with daily tasks like going to the bank or grocery store.
Some millennials are moving home to support their parents until the pandemic has passed, while others are helping their parents to hire in-home help or move into retirement communities. A portion of millennials moving home to care of their parents are able to do so because of remote work options, while others are in between jobs or lost a job due to the pandemic.
Taking Safety Precautions During Your Move
Moving to a new home or apartment, even temporarily, can be stressful. Add a global pandemic and the risk of contracting Covid-19 to the mix and it can be immeasurably more taxing. At All Jersey Moving & Storage, we understand the difficulty of moving during the pandemic, and are committed to delivering a safe move. Here are some practical steps you can take to ensure your move is as safe and stress-free as possible.
- Double up on masks. Ensure that you have a spare mask on moving day so you are protected if your mask breaks. It is also a good idea to have some disposable masks available should one of your mover’s masks break.
- Stock up on hand sanitizer. Purchase a few bottles of hand sanitizer. Keep one by your main entrance, and a few spread out throughout your home for easy access. Both you and your movers should use them liberally on moving day.
- Maintain social distancing. Do your best to keep your distance from your movers on moving day. Clearly label your boxes so minimal interaction with your movers is necessary.
- Keep windows open. Keeping your windows open on moving day will allow for better ventilation.
- Minimize manpower. Try to minimize the number of people present in your home on moving day. If you have children, try to find reliable childcare. The fewer the people on the premises, the easier it is to social distance with the movers.
- Pack in advance. Leave as few items as possible to be packed on moving day. Last minute packing will delay your move, which will increase the amount of time your movers will be onsite.
- Purchase extra moving materials. Another way to minimize delays and increase the efficiency of the move, thereby minimizing interaction with the movers onsite, is to ensure you have extra moving boxes for items you intend to pack at the last minute. Also be sure to have packing tape, a pair of scissors or exactor knife, sharpies, etc. so you aren’t forced to make an avoidable tip to the store.
- Utilize short- and long-term containerized storage. If you’re moving home and need someone to temporarily store furniture, equipment or other items, consider placing them in storage. All Jersey Moving & Storage offers short- and long-term containerized storage at our immaculate facility in New Jersey.
Simplify Your Move with All Jersey Moving & Storage
Moving back home, even temporarily, involves a lot of careful planning and preparation. If you have decided that moving back home is the best choice for you, the next step is to select optimal moving dates and research reputable professional moving companies.
Make sure the residential moving companies you are considering are well-recommended and are actually licensed to provide moving services. Moving companies in New Jersey and most other states require a license. You don’t want to find yourself working with a rogue, unlicensed moving company.
Another thing to beware of when considering professional movers is if the moving company quotes a price that is much lower than everyone else’s. When this happens, they're likely either very inexperienced or will charge countless "hidden fees" when moving day comes around.
Movers charge either by the hour or by the weight of your shipment, so there's a good chance that the low estimate you received will shoot up when your move is complete. The result? You'll end up paying just as much as you would for a legitimate mover but - most likely - for lackluster service and uninsured employees. Find a moving company like All Jersey Moving & Storage that charges fair, competitive prices and has a track record of providing excellent service.
At All Jersey Moving & Storage, we have decades of experience helping professionals and families relocate from New York City and Jersey City to a variety of destinations. We use top-of-the-line equipment to ensure that your valuables and your home are protected from the moment we arrive at your old house or apartment until your items are safely unloaded at your destination. If you’re moving out of an apartment in New York City or Jersey City, you can take comfort in the fact that All Jersey Moving & Storage moving team is familiar with the unique rules and requirements of many residential high-rise buildings. This allows us to ensure that your move runs smoothly and on schedule.
Here are some of the many benefits of choosing a seasoned moving company like All Jersey Moving & Storage:
- Our experienced staff will safely and professionally take care of your possessions. We guarantee a positive, friendly experience with all of our employees.
- Our equipment is at the top of its class. We’ve taken the time and investment to secure equipment that allows us to provide the best moving services possible.
- Whether you’re moving your piano or priceless antiques and heirlooms, our team has the expertise needed to make sure nothing gets damaged.
- We understand your schedule and just how challenging it can be to move while you have a job, family, and many other responsibilities to take care of. As a result, weekend pickups and deliveries have no extra charge, unlike many of our competitors. A Sunday move will cost the same as a move on a Tuesday.
- Our last-minute moving services mean that you won’t be in a scramble trying to make your move happen. If you have just closed on a new home or got a new job and need to relocate immediately, we will do our utmost to accommodate you.
- We’re trusted for our award-winning service, which means you can have peace of mind that you and your valued belongings are in extremely capable hands.
Contact All Jersey Moving & Storage today for a free estimate?