How to Survive A Cross Country Move
Moving can be stressful whether you’re moving to a new home down the block or to a community across town. But long distance cross country moving can bring an entirely different level of anxiety and apprehension. With short distance moves, your zip code may change, but many other areas of your life remain the same. With cross country moves, however, you have to contend with leaving behind the comfort and familiarity of your community, job, friends and family. This can make moving especially difficult and even painful.
The good news is that there are a number of practical steps you can take to make the transition to your new cross country home smoother:
Cross Country Moving Tip #1: Invest in Professional Cross Country Movers
Because moving to another state is nerve-wracking enough, you don’t want to find yourself worrying about whether you can trust your moving company to do their job right. Avoid adding to the stress of your cross country move by securing a moving company with experience executing long distance moves. Professional cross country movers have the specialized equipment, skill and experience necessary to ensure that your move is organized and carried out on schedule.
Because you want your valued items and furniture to reach their destination in the same condition they left your old home or apartment in, be sure to choose a moving company with extensive experience in long distance cross country moving. A DIY move or hiring inexperienced movers too often results in lost items or damage to your furniture, flooring, walls or stairs. Choosing an affordable, professional long distance moving company with great consumer reviews will ultimately be the most economical choice in the long run. It will also give you the peace of mind you need and deserve.
All Jersey Moving & Storage was founded by a family that has been in the moving business since 1956. We are committed to handling your long distance cross country move with the same attention, care, and expertise that our local moving customers have come to expect. Clients are confident that when they secure the support of our professional movers, they are investing in a company with decades of professional experience assisting families with similar long distance moves. Based in New Jersey, we specialize in expedited service on long distance moves within a 500-mile radius, up and down the East Coast, including all points between Maine and the Carolina's.
Cross Country Moving Tip #2: Be Diligent - Do Your Research!
You work hard for your money and you deserve quality, reliable service. Doing your due diligence and investing time into researching reputable cross country moving companies will help you ensure you are not disappointed with the moving services you receive. It will also help you find the best service at a competitive rate. Begin the research process by asking friends and family which moving company they have used in the past that they would highly recommend. Negative reviews you receive from those you personally know and trust will also help you weed out “bad apple” moving companies that don’t deserve your business.
Get quotes from the top cross country moving companies recommended to you. While speaking to the moving company's representative, ask if you can speak with consumers who have used their movers in the past for long-distance moves. Of course, you can also do a general online search to see what previous consumers have to say about their long-distance moving experiences with the company. These background checks often pay off, so invest the time to make sure you and your belonging are in good hands.
All Jersey Moving & Storage is proud to be regarded as one of New Jersey’s most trusted movers with experience in both local moving and long distance moving. Currently, we are one of only about fifteen movers in the state of New Jersey that has received the "Circle of Excellence" designation by the New Jersey Warehousemens & Movers Association. We are also ProMover Certified and earned the esteemed Angie's List Super Service Award in 2012 and 2013!
Cross Country Moving Tip #3: Book Your Preferred Movers in Advance
Booking your preferred movers on your moving date of choice is important for all moves, including short distance small moves and local moves. But it is especially important for long distance cross country moves. Don't wait until the week before moving day to secure the cross country moving company of your choice. Although you could get lucky, the safest best is to book several weeks (or more) in advance to ensure you get your top pick. The top moving companies with long-distance moving experience should be able to offer you packing tips and other useful advice on how to prepare for your cross country move in advance, making moving week less frantic and stressful.
All Jersey Moving & Storage understands that sometimes circumstances arise that necessitate a quick move. That is why we do our best to accommodate last minute moving requests. However, we strongly encourage clients to schedule their moves with us in advance – especially cross country moves – to ensure we can execute their moves on their preferred moving dates.
Cross Country Moving Tip #4: Don’t Leave Packing Until the Last Minute
One of the reasons why moving is so stressful for people is that they underestimate how long it takes to pack up all their belongings! You spend years accumulating things, so don't assume you can pack it all up in a day or two! Another thing to remember is that long-distance cross country moves can be long and bumpy journeys. As experienced and careful as your professional movers may be, it’s important be aware that your items can get damaged if they aren't properly packaged. They can also get misplaced if they aren't clearly labelled. All Jersey Moving and Storage offers excellent moving and packing tips as well as advice on when to get started on certain tasks to ensure that you're ready for moving day. If you select a reputable moving company, you can trust that they will take care of wrapping and padding your furniture and other antiques to ensure safe delivery.
Important Things to Remember When Moving Across the Country
These days, it’s so easy to send photos, information and even signed documents online that leaving things behind after a long distance move may seem like nothing to worry about. The reality is that there’s still information you may not want to send electronically or belongings that have sentimental, historical or financial value. What about the heirloom bracelet you store in your bank’s safety deposit box, original birth certificates you may need in order to acquire certified copies or the only photo in existence of your great-grandparents’ arrival in the U.S.?
All moves involve a large amount of logistical planning, but if you’re moving further than a day’s drive away you should be extra-careful to have a detailed checklist of everything you need to gather, store, organize or take with you. Don’t just rely on your moving company for the big day – most reputable movers have websites and blogs with extensive resources to help you with all the steps of your move. All Jersey Moving & Storage has been in the moving business for decades and has thousands of satisfied customers. We can assist you with our vast knowledge and specialized services.
Here are some of the items our clients tend to forget about when planning a move:
- Records – Not the old vinyl ones you used to play, although you might not want to leave your collection of those in your old home either! You’ll need copies of school, dental and medical records. Try to request them well ahead of the move as they may take time to compile.
- Prescriptions – With people forging prescriptions to obtain addictive substances, you may be required to present an original prescription or one faxed or emailed directly from your doctor’s office at your new drugstore. Save yourself the hassle and take care of this before you arrive at your new home.
- Secure your pets – Your pet may feel out of sorts when they arrive at your new home or sneak off to explore your new neighborhood. To be safe, get a collar with your new information inscribed on it or ask your vet to implant a microchip. See that your pets are in a safe place and can’t wander out of your house when the doors are open for the move.
- Jewelry – Remember to take it out of your bank deposit box or home safe and keep it with you. All Jersey Moving & Storage can handle larger valuable pieces like artwork or antiques.
- Library books – Unfortunately, an e-book can’t replace an actual library book you’ve forgotten about. Courier or postage fees to return books to the library can be high, especially if they’re large volumes.
- Items in storage – If you have items in storage, this is a good time to make a decision about whether to take them with you or donate them. If you want them to remain in storage, or have other pieces you’re not sure about, All Jersey Moving & Storage has our own secure containerized storage facility with stable monthly fees.
- Servicing cars – If you have a long drive to your new home, take your vehicles for a service ahead of the move. If you’re moving during winter, or to an area with a snowier climate, consider investing in snow tires. (Remember, you’ll need to store your other tires somewhere if you do.)
- Change of address forms – It’s a good idea to fill these out at least a month ahead of time. You can do it online at usps.gov or at your local post office. Remember to notify your banks, insurance companies, credit card, phone and internet providers, employers’ human resources departments and utility companies about your move. Don’t do it too early as you don’t want private correspondence arriving at your new home while the owners are still there. Ask a friend or neighbor to look out for mail after you’ve left.
- Saying goodbye – Unfortunately, even the most organized person may forget to bid farewell to all of their friends, fellow congregants, neighbors or local business people. Most understand that a move can be overwhelming but some may worry about your absence or be hurt that they weren’t informed.
Long distance moving can be overwhelming. All Jersey Moving & Storage offers a variety of services to free up your time and make your move easier, including packing and unpacking and even last minute help. Leave us to worry about the details and keep your mind clear so you don’t forget about anything important. Contact us now for a no-obligation quote.
The Cost of Cross Country Moving
The cost of a cross country move is based on the weight of your shipment and zip codes. All Jersey Moving & Storage is able to offer competitive rates because of our partnership with National Van Lines. National Van Lines (NVL) has a large network of drivers, trucks, and warehouses to accomplish the logistics of shipping cross country. Any shipment that needs to be moved in excess of 500 miles requires a large logistical system in place to be competitive.
So, there you have it. Your long distance move doesn't have to be as painful or stressful as you think if you plan ahead and use an experienced moving company with a stellar reputation in the area of cross country moves. Dedicated to helping individuals, couples and families relocate to new homes in different cities or states, All Jersey Moving and Storage has decades of long distance moving experience. Based in New Jersey, their experienced movers service a 500-mile radius up and down the East Coast, including all points between Maine and the Carolina's. Contact a representative today for a free estimate.