How to Ensure You're Insured on Moving Day
We’ve all heard or experienced ourselves that moving can be a very anxious time. You’re uprooting yourself and possibly your family and have a lot of organizing and physical work to undertake. Precious possessions being broken, stolen or lost can add more stress and even regret to a move. The best way to avoid this scenario is to find an experienced reputable moving company. All Jersey Moving & Storage has been in business since 1956 and has many glowing reviews. We don’t use casual labor and our staff are fully trained and bonded. We also specialize in moving pianos, antiques, fine art and other fragile or costly items.
Since even the best moving company can experience breakages and losses, we’ve compiled some essential information about insuring your move and ensuring peace of mind. Here’s what you need to know:
- Basic, no-charge liability coverage offered by all licensed movers is 60 cents per pound per article. This means that if your moving company lost or damaged a 30 lb. television, it would be liable for 30 x 0.60 = only $30.
- Full replacement value coverage is based on a minimum value of either 5 or 6 times the weight of the shipment. This means that a 5,000 lb. shipment would be valued at 5/6 x 5,000 = $25,000/$30,000. You can elect to increase the coverage and buy coverage that covers more than the minimum worth. Replacement value coverage must be purchased before the start of your move and you have the option of choosing one of four deductibles (“0”, 250, 500 or 1,000) Alert your mover of any high-value articles valued at over $100 per lb. or more than $2,000 for a single item.
- The claim adjuster has the discretion to offer one of three options to settle a claim under full value coverage depending on the circumstance:
- Repair the item to its original condition.
- Replace it with a similar one
- Make a cash settlement for the cost of the repair or the current market replacement value.
- Unless movers pack and unpack items in a box, they are not covered even if additional insurance was purchased. A possible exception is if the box arrives crushed, but even that claim will be rejected unless a new box and proper packing techniques were used. All Jersey Moving & Storage offers packing and unpacking services at a surprisingly affordable cost. Besides ensuring that your belongings are packed securely and insured, electing this option can save time and reduce your stress.
- Customers should check the moving truck before it departs and record any lost or damaged items on delivery. It’s preferable, but not required, to note lost or damaged items on the bill of lading. Checking the truck before departure gives you the peace of mind that the article or box you cant locate will be found during the unpacking process. In the unfortunate event of a damage claim, repair firms can usually tell whether damages were pre-existing or transit-related.
- You must consult your insurance agent regarding coverage under a homeowners’ policy. You may be insured in certain instances but it’s important to know the risks specified in your policy. You should also remember that policies have a deductible – usually $1,000 – which means that your $800 laptop will not be included in the event of a loss. In addition, damage is typically not covered under homeowners’ policies, and the amount of coverage can even be reduced when your goods are in transit.
It’s evident that moving insurance is a complex topic. Obviously, insurance companies settle claims more speedily when the correct amount of coverage is purchased, everything is in order and paperwork is completed correctly. A trustworthy company like All Jersey Moving & Storage is your partner throughout the move and will not try to deceive you in the event of a claim. Contact us now to receive a free no obligation quote.