Our statement on COVID-19 and YES we are open for business. PLEASE READ
Boxes for Moving: What You Need to Know
One seven letter word has the power of instilling dread and fear in the hearts of those who have to move to a new home or apartment: P-A-C-K-I-N-G. The thought of being surrounded by a sea of packing paper, boxes and tape is enough to send many people into sheer panic mode. Sorting through the vast contents of your home or apartment is no small task. After all, it takes years to accumulate your possessions. Yet, you are expected to sort and organize, strategically and safely pack them away in a matter of weeks, and then unpack them all over again when you arrive at your destination. Just thinking about it can be exhausting.
But since packing is a necessary step in the moving process unless you plan to hire movers to undertake the project for you, it is well worth exploring how to make it as seamless and stress-free a process as possible.
Get An Early Start.
One of the most important things to remember about packing is that it is often more time-consuming than you might think. By starting well in advance, you give yourself the time you need to pack methodically rather than frantically and chaotically. Professional moving companies like All Jersey Moving & Storage recommend that you begin packing a month prior to your move, or even earlier. This is especially important if you plan to sell furniture or other possessions you no longer want or need at a garage sale or on sites like Craigslist. Don’t put yourself in a position where you have to give or throw away items of value that you no longer need just because you ran out of time. It’s also important to keep in mind that donating items to a local charity takes time to organize as well. If you are planning a commercial or office move, you will most likely begin packing a day or two prior to the move. All Jersey Moving & Storage is frequently hired to pack and unpack for commercial moves to increase efficiencies and allow the rest of the staff to carry on with business as usual until moving day.
Get the Right Moving Boxes.
You can’t execute a successful move without the right tools. Before you begin sorting and packing, make sure you have everything you need. This will likely include packing tape, packing paper, scissors, bubble wrap, box cutters, labels and markers. Having easy access to these items will help ensure a smooth-sailing packing process. Ask your professional moving company if they have any recommendations when it comes to moving supplies. For instance, All Jersey Moving & Storage recommends purchasing packing paper rather than using newspaper to avoid ink rubbing off on your belongings.
One of the most important packing materials by far is – not surprisingly – moving boxes! Without the right boxes, you run the risk of your possessions being damaged, dented or broken during the move.
So, who is responsible for providing moving boxes – you or your moving company? There is no industry rule on this, which means it is important to ask your professional movers what packing supplies, if any, they provide.
At All Jersey Moving & Storage, the answer depends on several factors. All Jersey Moving & Storage offers professional packing and unpacking services for clients who don’t have the time or interest in packing the contents of their home or business. When we are hired for our partial or complete packing and unpacking services for residential moves, our professional movers bring their own boxes and moving supplies.
All Jersey Moving & Storage also almost always supplies the boxes and plastic totes for commercial and office moves. Specifically, we provide 2.3 legal totes, which are boxes with handles on the sides. We also supply plastic totes that can be utilized for everything. They are particularly useful for file storage because a bar can be inserted for hanging file folders.
If you will be packing and unpacking your own furniture and belongings for a residential move, it is your responsibility to supply your own moving boxes. However, many of our customers request that we supply special boxes to protect their televisions, mirrors, artwork, flat glass (i.e. shelves and table tops) and lamps – and we are happy to do so.
Because we have years of moving experience in the New Jersey area, across the East Coast and beyond, many All Jersey Moving & Storage clients turn to us asking what type of moving boxes are ideal for a safe and secure move. They also inquire as to where they can purchase quality boxes. Home Depot is one retailer that sells relatively inexpensive moving boxes, making them a popular choice amongst our clients. Their moving boxes work well for direct moves, where our movers pick up your belongings and bring them directly to your new home, apartment, office or commercial space. However, Home Depot moving boxes are not recommended if you intend to place your belongings into storage. Be aware that these boxes have a tendency to buckle and become flimsy with any change in temperature.
What Type of Boxes Does All Jersey Moving & Storage Provide?
All Jersey Moving & Storage provide residential moving boxes in three standard sizes: small (1.5 cu'), medium (3.0 cu') and large (4.5 cu'). We also carry dish packs (double wall 5.2 cu') as well as special wardrobe, mirror, picture/artwork, lamp, and television cartons. The most popular is the medium box which accommodates most items. The small moving boxes are a great choice for canned goods, books, albums and other smaller items while the large moving boxes are good for bedding, children’s toys, and large pans.
The All Jersey Moving & Storage team also supplies three ply brown paper (48" x 60"), which our movers use to wrap pictures before placing them securely in boxes. For those who plan to place items in containerized storage, this paper is also a good option for wrapping and protecting furniture from damage. We also carry three ply bubble paper which we use to wrap furniture on international moves.
Moving Box Basics: Useful Tips and Tricks of the Trade
- On moving day, remember to keep at least three boxes aside after your movers leave to pack loose items such as food items, a change of clothing, moving tape and scissors, paper towel, and anything else that didn’t make it into your labelled boxes.
- If you don’t want to pack and unpack food items that have been cluttering your kitchen cabinets, consider donating them. All Jersey Moving & Storage participates in a charity called “Move for Hunger”, a company that builds relationships with moving companies that collect non-perishable food items and deliver them to food banks across America.
- Moving can be costly, but don’t cut corners when it comes to purchasing quality moving boxes. Purchasing used moving boxes or gathering them from your local grocery or liquor store is not a risk worth taking. Too often, used moving boxes offer very little protection and aren’t sanitary. Boxes that were used to store fruits or vegetables may harvest bugs or larvae inside the flute of the cardboard. There has also been a bed bug problem with moving companies that reuse boxes and or rent wardrobe boxes. Bed bugs can get inside the flute of cardboard and cross contaminate the next user.
- To increase the safety and efficiency of your move, it is often worthwhile to use one uniform box size so the truck can be stacked more easily.
- Our expert movers recommend that you pack glassware, china, and other delicate collectibles in a new double wall carton for greater protection.
- Pack your boxes to capacity so the tops don't buckle when they are stacked. Try to distribute the contents evenly as well so they don't warp or shift when they're being carried.
- Consider splurging on items like hanging wardrobe boxes. Seeing your best suit clean, wrinkle-free and ready to wear can lift your spirits when you reach your new home.
- Keep small but essential items like nails in a zipper top freezer bag and adhere the bag to the item it belongs to. Use colored tissue paper to protect small items and make them more easily visible.
- Pack a box of moving essentials box that gets loaded last and is easily accessible at the other end. It should contain toilet paper, soap, paper towels and non-perishable snacks.
Weigh Your Storage Options
During the process of surveying all of your belongings to begin packing for your move, you may come across furniture, artwork, important files, workout equipment, or other items that you aren’t ready to part with but don’t have room for in your new home. One of the benefits of moving with All Jersey Moving & Storage is that we have our own New Jersey-based containerized storage facility.
Once you've secured our moving services, you don't have to waste time worrying about finding a self-storage facility, doing the necessary "background" research and coordinating logistics between your movers and storage facility. You also avoid having to visit the facility in person to sign paperwork or waiting while your movers unload your storage so that you can lock and secure your unit.
At All Jersey Moving & Storage, once our movers have loaded up their truck, you're free to tackle the many other things on your to-do list, be it heading over to your new property or bidding farewell to local friends and family.
At All Jersey Moving & Storage, we've been helping professionals and families move for decades, always with the aim of minimizing stress and maximizing peace of mind. Here are some of the reasons why our clients choose containerized storage at our facility over self-storage:
- When your furniture is placed in containerized storage, it is carefully blanket wrapped and remains so until it's safely removed from storage!
- All items are stored securely in sturdy wooden containers - the optimal environment for valuables such as furniture and other delicates!
- To provide greater peace of mind, you can purchase full value coverage to properly insure the goods in storage.
- Our team monitors all movement into and out of our containerized storage facility, giving tenants confidence that there are no hazardous materials or infested shipments under our roof.
- Unlike self-storage facilities, at the All Jersey Moving & Storage facility in New Jersey, tenants only pay for the amount of space they use.
- To make storage more cost effective for our tenants, we don't charge move-in administration fees and maintain stable rental fees so there's no need to worry that your expenses will increase after a few months as they often do in self-storage facilities.
- The All Jersey Moving & Storage team understands that you may need to access your facility. Contact one of our warehouseman who are onsite and ready to help you.
Contact All Jersey Moving & Storage for a free moving estimate today.